Primary Care Paramedic – Certificate
Accredited by Saskatchewan Polytechnic
Our program emphasizes authentic hands-on training in prehospital emergency care, with both hospital and ambulance practicums.
You’ll focus on:
- medical and trauma injuries
- mental health issues
- obstetrical emergencies
- physical assessments of various body systems
- cardiac and respiratory emergencies
- certifications in
- geriatric education for EMS
- International Trauma Life Support (ITLS)
- Pediatric Education for Prehospital Professionals (PEPP)
The program is fully accredited by the Canadian Medical Association. Your curriculum aligns with primary care paramedic roles and responsibilities outlined in the National Occupational Competency Profiles (NOCP) for the Paramedic Practitioner of Canada. When you graduate, you’ll be eligible to write the provincial licensing exam for registration with the Saskatchewan College of Paramedics.
- Lab and Simulation Training - The PCP program emphasizes hands-on learning. You’ll spend about one- third of your time in the classroom, one-third in practical labs and one-third in high-fidelity simulation. State-of-the- art simulation facilities use a wide range of scenarios to help you develop your critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Field Practicums - You’ll take the knowledge that you’ve learned in the classroom and put it to work with an emergency medical services (EMS) organization (usually ambulance service) to learn about policies, procedures and documentation; conduct independent patient assessments; and provide treatment using ambulance equipment.
- Clinical Practicums - During your hospital-based practicum, you’ll conduct independent patient assessments and use hospital equipment to provide treatment. You’ll also learn about hospital policies, procedures and documentation.
Locations: La Ronge Campus
Click here for Entrance Requirements, Dates & Tuition
Location: La Ronge Campus
Start/End dates: September 5, 2017 – June 30, 2018
Number of weeks: 41
Tuition: To Be Determined
Books: To Be Determined
At Northlands College,
We Build Futures
Learn more about the courses and programs we offer.